Sunday, December 5, 2010

Using Up the Turkey Sandwiches



On Thanksgiving, we probably had a menu similar to what most Americans had on their table: a turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, rolls, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and blueberry pie.

The next day sort of reminded me of a re-run of Thanksgiving, except this time it was no longer served on china. Instead it was heated up a plate at a time in the microwave and we ate it while watching a game on TV.

By then, I’d had about all the turkey that I could stand for a while, so I put the turkey in freezer bags, one for white meat, and one for dark meet and off to the freezer it went.

Now, over a week later, it is time to think about having turkey again. I am determined to not throw out the rest of this turkey, like I’ve done in previous years. So, I came up with this sandwich which I hope that my family likes better than just spreading a piece of sandwich bread with some mayo and putting on a few pieces of turkey, slapping another piece of bread on top and calling it a sandwich.

So this is how it starts. Get some croissants. I used the kind that would make small sandwiches.

I’d stored them in the refrigerator, which made them easier to slice. And a saw-toothed bread knife made the task of slicing them horizontally much easier. I sprayed the cut sides with non-stick spray, then I smeared some minced garlic on them. It doesn’t take much, only garlic bits on each one sparsely. I sprinkled some paprika on each one. Then I toasted them on foil in the oven at 325 degrees.

Spread each with mayonnaise. Then layer with:

Turkey

A tablespoon of cranberry sauce

Add some co-jack cheese.

Add some lettuce, and the top of the croissant. Hold sandwich together with a pick and a black olive garnish.

Add some chips and a few veggies. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment