Saturday, January 11, 2014

Nancy's English Toffee



The most difficult part of this recipe is finding the Golden Syrup. It is an amber colored thick syrup. I used Lyle's brand and I got it at at import store. I think it is popular in the UK, but can be purchased over the internet if you can't find it in your local store. I am giving the directions to use specifically for an induction cooktop, as this is what I have. I have found that an induction cooktop had a bit of a learning curve, but I love it. (No burner crevices for stuff to go down into and get trapped.) But if you are using another type stove, use the cold water test and cook until a little bit dropped in it forms a hard ball. It is much easier to use silicone baking pans because it will not stick, and that is all I will ever use for similar projects any more. One recipe of this makes one 20 count tarltet pan full of candies.

Equipment:

  • 1 wooden spoon
  • 2 quart saucepan
  • timer
  • silicone tartlet pan


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 stick salted butter
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/8 cup golden syrup
  • 1/8 cup water


Instructions:

  1. Measure ingredients and place into saucepan.
  2. Set timer for 13:30.
  3. Turn the large burner control to halfway between 6 and 7.
  4. Constantly stir with wooden spoon until melted.
  5. Stir occasionally (about once a minute), until timer goes off.
  6. When timer goes off, remove from the heat and pour into the silicone molds.
  7. Let cool for an hour and invert on a clean surface.
  8. Enjoy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment